Sunday, April 27, 2008

Killing Time

How much time can one kill in a coffee shop? A lot evidently. So a recap of yesterdays race is in order I guess right?...............right!
3 am alarm, four hours sleep, drive 2.5 hrs to race (rain) site, setup transition, put on rain jacket. Nice! Yes, it raining, thunder, etc. Race delay and hilarity ensues. So Phil and I belly up to the Hammer gel bar for a few shots of the sauce (apple cinnamon for me) and we try to make the best of it. This makes warm up kind of iffy with the thunder and lightning and such. In retrospect I think that I should have gotten to the swimming in a big kind of way because I did my patented (pending) choke on the swim. I can't exhale underwater.... WTF! I am sure that it is a combination of factors but still...WTF! On to the bike and I proceed to drop my chain in the first five minutes, which will not get back on no matter how I coax it, calmly dismount, chain on, off I go. I am ripping it pretty good as only one rider passed me. Then on to the run, which was my biggest concern, given that my feet are having a rebellion against me and my new lifestyle. Oddly enough, I set a PR on the run. I know, I know, that is a PR? And yes, for me it is. I'm skinny and slow, sue me. Take home message? I don't know...........Practice? Relax? All of the above. Take it race by race and learn.
Anyway.......A big shout out to all my peeps from Green Vegas and a big congrats to the Bean for another age group win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the big mistake I think you made.... that wetsuit restricted your breathing too much.... you really need to take a lesson from that underarmor guy - swim in just your underpants then put on a pair of basketball shorts for the bike and the run. Try it next time and let me know how it goes.

If it works for you, I will seriously consider laughing behind your back and suggesting you do it again... Phil

Anonymous said...

AHHHH KILLAH...........you just gotta figure out your breathing in the swim....the ZEN of swimming is that you BREATH properly.....I think I heard someone say that once to me...think his name was ROB.......
You did "killah" on the bike/run...plus lost your chain...whew...can't wait to see you next race......

Just remember......GO GO GO......you are off to an awesome start

BTW..LOVE YOUR BLOG>>>>>>>>>>